Tropical Vacation Destinations for Seniors
Needing a spot to vacation and take some time to relax in the sun? We’ve compounded a few destinations in the US and outside the US for you to think about your next tropical vacation!
Tropical US Destinations
If you’re looking for a tropical vacation either inside the United States or to a US territory, here are a couple of great options for seniors to consider:
Sarasota, Florida –Sarasota, Florida is a great vacation destination.
- It’s close to some of the most beautiful beaches in the US like Anna Maria, Longboat Key and Siesta Key that sit along the crystal-clear Gulf of Mexico.
- You can visit the winter home of The Ringling family and tour their museum learning about their history in the circus.
- If you want a taste of more of the local scene, tour the Siesta Key Rum Distillery and learn about the process of drum circle distilling before an exclusive tasting.
The Florida Keys – a favorite vacation spot among Floridians and out-of-state visitors alike, the Florida Keys are among one of the biggest tropical destinations among the United States.
- Key West is the Southern Most point of the United States and is THE most talked about part of the keys. With Duval Street, beaches, and a distinct history of famed writer Ernest Hemingway, you’ll enjoy a tropical paradise with an abundance of things to do.
- If you are into fishing, check out Islamorada as it’s well known for deep sea fishing. It’s midway through the keys and provides some of the finest sea food you’ll ever find.
- Key Largo is another great spot and the first spot along the stretch of keys. Home to the first underwater park, explore the wonders as you snorkel or scuba and surround yourself with statues among the reefs. Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, take a day out on a charter and catch some deep-sea fish.
Kauai, Hawaii – mostly known as an expensive vacation, Hawaii is a tropical destination that is always talked about, but never taken. However, Kauai has many great affordable options for you to experience the tropics.
- There are many secluded beaches for you to enjoy and the island is small enough to travel across in one day.
- Plan a coastal boat tour along the Napali Coast to see the beauty of the island along the water.
- And, if you want to do a little shopping, take a trip to Princeville where you’ll find great shops, and beach front restaurants.
Abroad Travel Destinations
Feeling a little adventurous and want to travel outside the US? These affordable travel destinations provide a beautiful escape from daily life:
Azores – islands off the coast of Portugal, the Azores are a beautiful place to escape for a relaxing tropical vacation. There are many islands to choose from that offer a variety of adventure.
- Sao Miguel is the main island that offers a plethora of opportunity to relax or have adventure. Find a geothermal pool to sink into and enjoy the naturally heated spring.
- Whale watching is another way to enjoy the breathtaking sights of the Azores and a favorite excursion for many tourists.
- If you are a bit of a wine connoisseur, fly to Pico Island where you’ll find unique vineyards. Not only is the view spectacular, the wine itself is unique in having a salty finish from the costal winds.
Belize – Belize is a beautiful country just on the shores of the Caribbean. This South American destination has some of the most beautiful beaches and wild life in the world.
- Many Mayan cities, villages and temples can be found around Belize and are open to explore making for one exciting adventure into history.
- If you want to see some of Belize’s magnificent species, visit the Belize zoo or the wildlife sanctuary in Cockscomb Basin Forest Reserve.
- Take a tour of the Placencia Peninsula by renting a bike for the day. If you want a little more excitement and don’t mind spending a bit more money, go manatee spotting on a kayak!
Curaçao – Dutch owned and offering the ideal tropical style vacation, Curaçao offers variety to suit any vacationers adventure needs in the Caribbean.
- Queen Emma Bridge is a mobile bridge connecting two parts of the island together. It offers a way to visit Otorbanda from Punda, and vice versa giving you a beautiful view across the water.
- There are many beaches to visit in Curaçao, but most are not free. Playa Lagun, however, is a free beach and is more private than most. Make sure to pack socks or water shoes to protect your feet against the rocky terrain before and after the shoreline.
- If you’re looking for more of a relaxing day in a more metropolitan area, visit Punda to venture through Handelskade. It’s the perfect spot along the water to enjoy a midday coffee or cocktail as you watch the ships go by.
Get an early start and make a trip to the local market for fresh produce on the floating market or plan a nighttime walk along the Queen Emma Bridge to view the stunning lights that brighten up the night.